● James Calver will take up his new position in early October, 2022.
● Calver has worked in arts administration for the past 12 years, most recently as
Concerts Director with Britten Sinfonia, a post which he has held for 8 years.
● During this time, he has worked with countless national and international
partners including The Barbican, Snape Maltings, Brighton Dome & Festival,
Orchestras Live, Lincolnshire International Chamber Music Festival, Lincoln
Centre NYC, NCPA Beijing, and Het Concertgebouw Amsterdam, alongside
many of today’s most outstanding soloists and composers.
● He has also worked closely with The Sixteen on the first ever live streamed
performance from the Sistine Chapel, giving the Vatican premiere of Sir James
MacMillan’s Stabat Mater.
● James Calver said: “Joining Bath Festival Orchestra at this pivotal moment,
assuming the mantle of Michael Garvey, is an immense and humbling privilege for me
professionally and personally. I’m so looking forward to working with Peter, Maren,
and the dedicated staff and players of the orchestra to realise our collective vision:-
challenging perceptions, dissecting traditions, and reinventing the norm. There isso
much potential and energy within this group, I’m incredibly lucky to be in a position as
the newly-appointed General Manager to nurture, harness, and grow this vibrant,
talented orchestra, taking BFO into uncharted territory as we enter a new era
● Calver lives in Cambridge with a cat named Lola, and alongside his many
creative passions, he enjoys gardening, hiking, travelling, and spending quality
time with his three-year-old niece, Eva.
● To find out more information about Bath Festival Orchestra and forthcoming
performances, click here.