May 7–9 at Domino Park in Brooklyn
NY Phil Bandwagon 2 begins this weekend at Domino Park in Brooklyn. Programmed in collaboration with Bandwagon 2 partner El Puente, the three-day festival celebrating Mother’s Day and Mother Earth takes place from a customized 20-foot shipping container and is hosted by Los Sures civic leader and El Puente CADRE member Esteban Duran. The lineup features:
- The World Premiere of Mark Grey’s Birds in the Moon, a mobile chamber opera with a libretto by Júlia Canosa i Serra, directed by Elkhanah Pulitzer, exploring themes of migration, the environment, and mother-daughter relationships. Performers include a string quartet of New York Philharmonic musicians, soprano Maria Elena Altany, and actor Austin Spangler.
- Composer / singer Juana Luna and dancer Elisa Toro Franky — both El Puente CADRE artists — perform in collaboration with a Philharmonic string quartet.
- Mariachi Tapatio de Alvaro Paulino
- Kool Element Latin Jazz joined by three Philharmonic musicians
- The El Puente Youth Dance Ensemble
- Puerto Rican musical ensemble Alma Adentro
- BombaYo brings the ancestral rhythms of Bomba, an African-derived music and dance tradition developed in Puerto Rico.
- DJ Rekha closes the weekend with a dance party featuring dhol drummer and dancers Avish Dholi and Ajna Dance.
Programming is subject to change.
NY Phil Bandwagon 2 is being planned in adherence to the New York State Department of Health’s COVID-19 protocols. Masks, social distancing, and self-screening will be required at all performances.